18 September 2011

Weakest of the chain.

She sat on the bed, quitely, holding a book in her lap, silent.
He looked at her for a minute and then sat besides her, his head hanging low. -Hey... -She said nothing, didn't move. It was as if nothing had happened.
He cleared his troath and tried again.
-I am sorry, about... well, I shouldn't have gotten angry.
-It's fine.
Again, she didn't move. Her lips moved for less than a fraction of minute and then got back to their statue state.
He felt a sudden rush of anger fill him up, again.
-What I am trying to say it's that, whatever you do, it's your business, not mine.
A minute went through, his breathing had gotten faster and he could feel his heart hitting his rib cage.
She wasn't reading any more, he could see it. She was looking at the page distracted, until she finally raised her head. Their eyes met and he felt his insides falling down slowly and painfully while noticing her brown eyes were cold, it was as if the heat he always found comforting had vanished and turned cold. It was worst than ice.
-What do you want me to say?
He shivered. Her inside cold was enough to make him shiver and yet, his anger seemed fast melting that cold.
-Well, anything! I do not expect you to sit still while I am asking you to-
-To what? To forgive you? To say things will be fine? Really? I just said that.
-You didn't mean it.
He said now laying on the bed, inside the covers and closing his eyes.
-That's better, trust me. You don't want to hear-
-I do.
-You do?- she sighed- You want to know it? FINE. I am angry, I got angry. Happy?
-Not really.
He turned on his side, breathing heavily and pretending to sleep. She wouldn't buy it, he was angry, way too angry to fall easily asleep.
-I just can't believe you... ugh.
-You can't believe what? You shouldn't be spending your time, you should be attending school. You're losing it for nothing.
He sat on the bed, this time not sitting next to her, but in front of her, his back turned on to her. He couldn't see her face but he knew he had done something. It had been wrong.
-I wouldn't expect you to understand.
This time it was different, the tone of her voice. It was. He recognized the pain and regret took over the anger.
-I... What is there that I wouldn't understand?
He wanted to turn around and face her, he wanted to comfort her, he wanted to hug her. He also wanted to keep distance between them.
At first, she didn't answer and when he decided she wouldn't answer, when he was turning to face her, she turned her face away, a hand quickly traveling to her cheek but not fast enough to hide that shiny tear.
He melted. He hated hurting her, he hated it.
-I...
-It's fine. I'm sorry, I was stupid and got carried away. I shouldn't...
-No. I shouldn't be judging you, you have every right to feel... the way you feel..- He got close to her, pushing himself close with his arms and hands and reaching her, his hands easily found the well known way to her body, to her waist.
He held her, she breathed soflty, calming and containing the feelings that arose.
-Let's make a deal.- she said, pushing him soflty by the chest. He obediently got away and looked at her confused and anxious at the time.
He shook his head.
-I... I will make my best effort, from now on... but you, have to promise me that you won't ask and, won't be that rough on me again.
-Rough?- he said stubbornly and then agreed, hugging her again. Now she hugged him back.- If you want that... I just need to know you'll be... you will be.
-You look after me. I am, I will be... I am going to manage.

No comments:

Post a Comment